Crazy EASY All-Natural Detangler

Hi there! Today I'm going to share a crazy easy recipe for making an all-natural detangler that smells AMAZING and works like a dream.


I whipped up this recipe in about 3 minutes, which I love because it won't be a chore to make more when I run out. Of course I also love that it's all natural, but it really does a great job of helping to get out my snarls without making my hair frizzy or poofy.

There are a lot of chemicals in over-the-counter hair products, and detangler is no exception. I flipped over the bottle of product I was using before I created this gem, and I couldn't pronounce most of the ingredients listed. I noticed it had alcohol in it which can dry out your hair and makes it poof and frizz.


Do you see all those snarls? I seriously can't live without detangler. I have that thick kind of hair that breaks combs. What's worse is that I enjoy swimming. My pool workouts have helped me get on the fitness track, but that pool chlorine really does a number on my hair! I should probably get a swim cap....

Anyway, here's what you need to make your own detangler at home:
  • 4 oz spray bottle - I use the amber glass jar ones. I always use glass whenever possible to avoid the chemicals and estrogens in plastics.
  • Distilled water
  • Vegetable Glycerin - I got mine in Amazon. Just do a search for "Vegetable Glycerin" and you'll have lots of options to choose from.
  • Young Living Oils: Lavender & Peppermint
The bottles I bought came with an adorable miniature funnel that really came in handy for bottling this up. I bought mine on Amazon and didn't even notice this feature. You may want to look for that when buying yours. It would be pretty annoying to try to get the liquids into the bottle without that mini-funnel, and I don't want any of you to be stressed out!

Instructions:
  • Measure 1 TB of Vegetable Glycerin and pour into your 4 oz bottle.
  • Add distilled water until nearly the top. Make sure you leave enough room for a few drops of essential oils and to screw on your spray bottle without overflowing your liquid.
  • Drop in 4 drops of lavender and 2 drops peppermint essential oils.
  • Screw on the spray cap, shake gently to mingle your ingredients.
  • Enjoy!
Before I spray this on my hair, I give the bottle a good little shake to get all the glorious scent and the glycerin all mixed together. I used about 8 sprays on my hair tonight, but your hair may be different. Start with only a few and add more as needed so you don't overdue it. I find that a little goes a long way - I was using more like 15-20 sprays of the chemical-laiden, store-bought stuff.



I hope you enjoy this recipe and can use it to toss one more chemical from your home. Do you have any scents you love on your hair? Share your ideas with me in the comments - I'd love to try a few other scent combinations!

Oh! I almost forgot: If you don't have these oils at home, you can get them in your starter kit here. Both the lavender and peppermint come in the starter kit along with a lot of others (and a diffuser, too!) which I'll be featuring on my blog soon!

Thanks for stopping by!

********************


********************

Comments

  1. If you use conditioner in your hair prior too swimming your hair wont absorb all the chemicals in the chlorine and it wont be as snarky when you get out. I just learned that last week! I'm a big eucalyptus fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a GREAT tip! I will try it next time I hit the pool and let you know how it goes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts